Thursday, April 25, 2013

Baby, I can see your Halo!

First off, I am so sorry for being so inconsistent with blogging. But in my defense, I have already written the next post but I am still waiting on some pictures that my friend Izzie took on our wine and bike tour in Mendoza. Unfortunately my camera’s battery died that day so I don’t have very many pictures of my own. I really don’t want to upload that post without any good photos and that’s why it’s taking me so long. But I’m hoping Izzie will get the pictures to me soon-ish. In her defense, she was out of town the past two weekends. 

But enough of the apologizing. And moving on to the important stuff: I have seen a LUNAR HALO yesterday!! And not just that. I saw it TWICE. In one night.

Now I didn’t exactly know about such a phenomenon before witnessing it yesterday. I still don’t know exactly how it works. I could insert some highly complicated and smart explanation here but I suppose it’s a lot easier if you just look it up on Wikipedia. Short version is that it has something to do with the reflection of the moon’s light and how its light is broken by a specific type of clouds.

The sky here in South America is truly amazing me over and over again. The most starriest of nights in Cabo Polonio, incredibly colorful sunsets, the most three-dimensional cloud constellations. And now this beauty?


Ok, the picture doesn’t really capture it. 
But ask my dear friend Google for pictures and be jealous!

For those of you, who don’t know what a lunar halo is, basically it looks like the moon has a halo. I think it only works with a full moon and it looks simply beautiful. I was stunned. Unfortunately I was too busy being amazed by it so I didn’t get to take a picture the first time around when we could see it very clearly. I suggest you google for reference pictures and be amazed yourself.

And then it vanished and left us very happy that we got to see it because according to my friend Eduardo from Mexico (who was the only one of us who had seen it before) it is doesn’t happen frequently. Makes sense since I think it only happens at full moon. So pretty much you can only witness it once a month and even then the weather conditions need to be just right. And according to Wikipedia it is more common for colder areas like Alaska or the poles. Well lucky us!

The second time around it was not as clear and distinctly visible. I got my camera anyway and crafted a makeshift tripod (using a saltshaker and a table) to make sure my camera wasn’t moving during the 13 seconds of exposure I set my camera to in order  to take a decent photo. And by the time I managed to do all that, it had gone from full circle to half circle. But it’s still pretty darn cool thing to see so I definitely hadto share that with you.

And because I got it stuck in my head all day, enjoy this video of Beyoncé and an incredible acoustic version of her song "Halo":



No comments:

Post a Comment